COMPOSER NEWS AND EVENTS
• TODD GUSTAFSON'S TO THE ENDS OF EARTH is an upcoming PBS nature special program with incredible imagery from the renowned photo safari leader, photographer, and videographer, with narration featuring world-famous naturalist Jane Goodall. Gary arranged, orchestrated, and conducted music composed by Todd Gustafson inspired by his adventures. Tentatively scheduled for a March 2018 premiere on PBS stations nationwide.
• SIAMSA NA NGAEL, or "Celtic Celebration," is an annual event at Chicago's Orchestra Hall staged by Old St. Patrick's Church and featuring the Metropolis Symphony Orchestra, the Old St. Patrick's Chorus, an ensemble of Celtic instruments, vocal soloists, and the Trinity Irish Dancers. Gary's arrangements have been featured for more than ten years, and once again new arrangements have been commissioned for this year's event, to take place on March 6, 2018.
• THE OKANAGAN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (Canada) commissioned a blockbuster closer for their annual and very popular Spooktacular! Halloween orchestra and chorus concerts. Gary composed a thirteen-minute work based on Edgar Allen Poe's chilling poems The Raven and Lenore, interpolating texts from the Latin requiem mass, to create The Raven: Requiem for Lenore. Rosemary Thomson conducted the premiere in October 2017.
• THE CONTINUO ARTS FOUNDATION celebrates their tenth anniversary with a gala concert on May 20, 2017 in Summit, NJ. They have invited Gary to conduct two of his works with their orchestra and choruses: Hope (for which Continuo Arts gave the premiere performance five years ago in Carnegie Hall), and If You Believe in Music. For more information about Continuo Arts and this program, click here: Continuo Arts website.
• REDEEMED, presented by Chicago's Provision Theater, is a world-premiere play written by Timothy Gregory. It is the story of Nixon's Watergate 'hatchet man' Chuck Colson, recapping his life, career, and journey to faith, and features incidental music by Gary Fry. The production at the Athenaeum Theater runs from mid-April through May 2017. Tickets are available by clicking here: Redeemed tickets.
• Sense8, the Netflix original series directed by Lana Wachowski, called on Gary to arrange a featured montage section of the special Christmastime episode (released December 23, 2016). The arrangement of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was for the famous Apollo Chorus of Chicago directed by Stephen Alltop.
• UNSHACKLED, one of the longest-running continuously broadcast radio programs in history, commissioned an underscore for their website trailer. Gary 's sound design and original music for the two-minute piece includes two short excerpts of the program's signature organ music. To view the trailer, click here: https://unshackled.org.
• SUNY POTSDAM and the Crane School of Music celebrated the college's bicentennial with Gary's Awake, Celestial Airs! for chorus and orchestra. The commission's premiere performance took place in Potsdam, New York, on April 30, 2016, with a second performance at Carnegie Hall in New York City on May 8, 2016.
• COLORADO SYMPHONY CHORUS - For their summer 2016 European tour, the Chorus directed by Duain Wolfe commissioned Hallelujah, Rejoice! The premiere was in Fauré's home church, L'Eglise de la Madeleine, in Paris, France on July 3, 2016, with additional performances in Strasbourg and Munich.
• HEIDI - A world premiere play by Timothy Gregory, based on the famous children's book, includes songs and incidental music by Gary. See www.provisiontheater.org for more information.
• CONTAINMENT - A new television series on the CW Network, directed by David Nutter, includes Gary's arrangement of "Lean on Me" in its pilot episode, which aired April 19, 2016.
• ATTENTION DEFICIT THEATRE - This new comedy sketch web series from the CW Seed network, featuring Jaime King, includes some music composed and produced by Gary. See it now on the internet here: http://cwseed.com